Saturday, September 19, 2015

Hitting the Books

I heard it from the grapevine that my position may be eliminated at work at the end of the month. So I have been searching around for a new job. I am looking both inside and outside the company. There are a lot of people interested on the outside. But they don't want to pay the right salary. For now I am not ready for a cut in pay.

If I am going to ask for a good pay, I need to be worth it. I do have a lot of experience. But I have been on my project for a long time. We use a specific set of skills. I am realizing that there are other projects that use other technologies that people want. I am researching those other technologies so I at least know about them.

My dream job is a database developer. That type of work is fun. I have one database certification from a big database company. I think I might need more certifications. I am working my way through a certification exam study guide book. By the end of the month, I think I will be ready to sit for the eaxm. I like that the title of the certification includes the work "expert".

A backup job will be another type of programmer. I rarely do this type of programming any more. But I might have to fall back on it. Luckily I got the textbooks at home. I have finished studying the concise text that is really old. Now I am starting to go through the second one.

All this studying is difficult as I have to work each day as well. But there might be a good payoff if I can quickly relearn the stuff required to convince someone to give me a good job. I will have to remember to be more diligent with the studying even after I get my job. This industry requires constant learning.

Maybe the best job will be one where I learn a lot on the job. I want to learn new technologies. I also want to get some more certifications. Finally it would be best if I could get a high level government security clearance. That might pave the way for even more lucrative jobs in my future.

No comments: