Monday, September 28, 2015

Manual Competency

My manual transmission truck is out of commission. I think the clutch is history. I do not plan to get it fixed. Might call someone up and tell them to take it away. Too bad too. Little Kat was making good progress learning how to drive manual transmission in it.

Luckily I have another vehicle with manual transmission. But Little Kat has been struggling driving my Versa. Previously he was shifting into first and second gears on the real road. Now he was struggling getting the thing into first in the parking lot.

The car would sputter or stall or slam into gear. Something was not right. I could not figure it out looking at Little Kat's feet. So I took the wheel. Then I motioned with my hand how much I was letting up on the clutch and when. After a few demonstrations, Little Kat identified the problem. He is just letting up on the clutch way too soon.

Now it seems like Little Kat can get it into first gear every time very smoothly. I will test him again next week. If this success continues, it is time to move to second gear, and then maybe move out onto the streets in our quiet neighborhood.

No comments: