Thursday, September 24, 2015

Job Lifeline

A while back I got an email that my work on my current project was ending at the end of the month. I called my boss. He asked me to find another position in the company before the end of the month. It took a while to get my resume in order. Then I started applying for internal jobs.

The results were lacking. I heard back from a couple folks. Only one group wanted to interview me. So far no job offers. I therefore took my job search to other companies. The recruiters were very efficient. That saves me time. But usually I find out upfront that my salary expectations are higher than the range they are offering.

I need a job. So if my company no longer has one for me, I might have been willing to take a pay cut. Luckily I met back with my boss this week. He said he found me some work to do for the next half a year or so. Unfortunately it will not be computer programming. It will be "consulting". I don't particularly care for work outside of programming. Buy hey. A job is a job. And they pay well and have great benefits at my company.

So this is the wake up call. Time to study. Time to obtain certifications. And time to network. I continue to apply to internal and external jobs. Got to find that right opportunity where I am the perfect fit and the company has some $$$ to pay me. Until then, I will be consulting.

No comments: