Sunday, September 27, 2015

Tire Pressure Trouble

My Nissan Versa has been warning me to check my tire pressure. Unfortunately I had given my tire pressure monitor to Kit Kat, who has since lost the thing. Oh well. I purchased another one for myself. I am not giving it to anyone. I measured the Versa tires. They are supposed to be inflated to 33 PSI. They were at 25 PSI. Oops.

I headed over to the local gas station. Positioned the air hose so that it could reach all the tires. I had all the tire stem caps off. Deposited a couple quarters in the air machine. I filled up two tires to above 33 PSI. The third tire did not seem to want to inflate. Then the air machine turned off.

I stuck some more quarters in. Filled the fourth tire up. When I got to the third tire, the pressure monitor said it was up to 41 PSI already. Must have made a mistake reading it earlier. I went back to all the tires, letting air out of them slowly until they hit 33 PSI.

I do not recall filling the air in the tires of my other cars. Maybe that's because they did not have the automatic tire pressure gauge in the car. Perhaps I was just riding low on air all the time. I do notice that I feel the bumps a little more in my car now. I hope the optimal pressure will be good for something like making the tires last longer.

No comments: