Thursday, June 2, 2016

Printer Problems

Our printer started having problems this week. The printer would either jam up while printing, or get confused thinking that some paper jammed. Either way the thing was unreliable. I figured the best thing to do would be to replace it.


This printer has been a workhorse. Lasted four years. We print often. The black and white toner is not too expensive if I buy off brand. It also scans if you set it up correctly. At first I thought I would just purchase the same model.


After some research, I found out that the company updated the printer and has a new model. I was going to purchase one from Amazon. However due to the holiday weekend, it would take four days to get here.


Instead I decided to pick one up from the local Staples store. The Internet site said they had one unit in stock in my local store. I went by today and found it. Was a bit suspicious because the box was taped up with store tape. I bought it anyway.


It got more suspicious when I opened the box and found that somebody took the toner cartridge out of the plastic wrap and installed it in the printer. They also installed some printer paper and left it in there. Felt like a refurbished unit.


However I did not let that get in the way. If it worked, I would be happy. The software install and configuration was not straightforward. But I got it working on my laptop and on the family computer. Now we need the rest of the family to gain the ability to print and scan to it.


After this relatively positive experience, I might upgrade our other black and white laser printer. It is always good to have a strong working backup.

No comments: