Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Shady Concrete Contractors

With my brother moving into the house, we need more room to park cars. He has two vehicles. Momoko and I have a couple each as well. So I called the guys that extended my driveway previously. I also figured that I would finally get my sad patio redone at the same time.


I explained what I needed to the estimator that came out. He arrived at a price around $11k. Was a hefty sum. But we would be getting rid of our nasty patio. And we would be getting the driveway room that we needed. So I signed their proposal. Later I called to get my work scheduled.


Some guy from the company called to say he wanted to see in person what they were doing for me. I had him come over and I told him what was contracted. The guy said that the driveway work was okay, but was adamant about not removing my old patio. He just wanted to build a new patio on top of the old.


I told the guy that such a change would lessen the work and materials that they needed to do. So I could only agree to that if there was a price reduction. The guy left without us finalizing the price modification. I called the estimator who initially came out and told him to re-cost the effort. Both guys came back out to discuss this with me.


Apparently they did not want to lower the price. That was fine I told them, as long as we could revert back to the details in our original contract. The second guy who came out did not agree with this plan. He said they could not guarantee the work if they proceeded according to their contract. The wrong time to be making such changes is before we agree on a price and enter into a contract.


Now I find myself having to look for a new concrete contractor. This is a pain because I had made plans and did work around these guys finishing the driveway and patio this week. I now will probably have to get a lawyer to respond to these noobs to protect my interests. Typical shady business practices. Time for a call to the Better Business Bureau.


Maybe I got lucky and avoided a patio fail with this latest revelation.

No comments: