Monday, October 10, 2022

Kindling Shelf

The whole back part of my property is essentially woods. There are dead branches fall down on the ground all the time. Normally I collect them and bag them for the county to come collect them. However some time ago, I started keeping them to use as kindling.

It takes some time for the wood to dry. So I was putting the sticks in old broke down trash cans. I have 4 or 5 cans. But they are all full. The sticks and branches don't stop falling though. It was finally time to erect a sort of kindling shelf. I figured a piece of plywood on the bottom, raised above the ground to keep wood dry should suffice. Maybe put a tarp over top to keep the rain out.

I had previously built a similar structure on my property behind the back fence to hold grass clippings. It would allow the grass to dry out before bagging it and letting the county collect it. Now I use a multi-bag system. So I don't need to let the grass lay out prior to bagging.

I disassembled the old grass drying structure. Pulled the plywood from the lumber. Wiped off the spider webs and pulled out the nails. Then I put down the plywood where the old trash cans for kindling was located. I put the plywood on top and nailed it down. Then I tossed the loose branches on top. Finally I put a blue tarp on tap, held down by a large stone.

No comments: