Thursday, June 18, 2015

Literally Screwed

My car started recently complaining about the tire pressure. I checked all four tires. Seemed okay. Then I drove Momoko out to eat. She heard a strange noise as we drove. I ignored it. Wrong move. I woke up one day this week. Planned to drive into the office. I had a flat tire. There was a screw in my tire. Putting air in it would do no good.

I needed to get to work. So I hopped in my other vehicle, the old truck. It has four brand new tires. I got to work fine. Worked all day and forgot about the tire until I got home. Went over to Mister Tire. They are crooks. But I thought I would give them a try. The kid behind the counter said the screw was too close to the side of the wheel to patch. But he would sell me a replacement for $150.

Nice try kid. I am not getting ripped off. In fact, I don't know why I even came to Mister Tire. Instead I went to this place that sells used tires. My brother has had some luck in such tire places. Kit Kat has had a tire or two replaced there. I pulled in. The guy behind the counter told me to talk to the technicians.

A tech took one look at my tire and said he could plug it for $15. And he could do it right then. That was the good news. The hard part was driving back home and putting the tire on the car. Actually I had done the hard work. I figured out where the spare tire is, and more importantly, how to release it from my car. I also jacked up the car using the stock jack that comes with the vehicle. I was sad I did not have my other car that Little Kat drives. It has an after market power jack in the trunk.

So far, the plug in the tire has held up. I am going to sell this car anyway after Little Kat learns how to drive manual transmission with it. So it only has to make it to about the end of the year.

No comments: