Monday, April 11, 2016

Applying to College

I have been quizzing Little Kat about this college plans for some time now. At the beginning of the school year, the school said it would be optimal to apply to college scholarships weeks. So I encourage Little Kat to do some. Sometimes I require that he do at least one scholarship application per week.


Recently Momoko and I have been requiring Little Kat to apply to colleges. He applied and got into some community colleges. Now it was time to apply to a four year college. For a few weeks in a row, Little Kat failed to apply to a local four year college.


I gave him another week and told him to get it done. Otherwise he would be in trouble. As usual, Little Kat failed. I made him pay the fees to apply to the college. Also made him go out in the back yard and saw a huge branch (like a tree) into manageable pieces to move.


Then came the super fail. The night before Little Kat was yet again required to apply to this college, he came and said he thought it might be too late to apply. The failure level was getting too high in here. I told him he needed to get the job done. Otherwise he would be put to manual labor building me a retaining wall in my back yard.


Little Kat built a good sized retaining wall one summer for me in the back yard. It was grueling work. He got paid a lot of money to do it. He also knew the pain it took that complete that task. Turns out, by hook or by crook, he finally got his college application in.


Now let's see if Little Kat learned any lessons about getting tasks done when I assign them to him. If so, he is going to be on one of the first steps towards success in life. Otherwise, I am going to be getting some good landscaping done in my back yard for free.

No comments: