Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Beyond the Big White Gate

It is time once again to sign up for a community college class. This will be for the Spring 2012 semester. I found a class I liked. My boss at work signed off on it. The class needed certain other classes to be taken first. Now I did take those classes. But I took them at another college. That means I need to go talk to an advisor to waive the restrictions.

I am off from work today. This seemed like a good time to go to advising. It was raining though. I looked up the info on the advising center by my house. Then I drove there in the rain. The directions said I could not park in the building parking lot. I had to park next door in the shopping center. There were specific instructions to walk through the shopping center, head down the alley, and enter the building from the back.

When I followed these instructions, I came to a tall fence with a big white gate that was closed. I approached figuring I did not want to walk all the way around to the front entrance. There was a security device, which I thought would unlock the gate. I pressed on the gate. No luck. Then I thought I might try a pull. When I pull the gate, it swung open. Whew. It took a few calls by my advisor to approve my class. But it got done.

Back in the car I tried to determine my first day of school so I could write it down. Something was not right. The class meets on Thursdays. But the schedule of classses listed the first day as a Friday. Doh. I had to go back to the advisor to inquire if there was a misprint. She checked in the system and found a different start day. She called up the main campus and confirmed that the schedule of classes date was wrong. Glad I cleared that up.

No comments: