Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Bike Repair with Little Kat

Little Kat and I both had flat bike tires a week or so ago. I ordered us some inner tubes off Amazon. They got delivered early. Little Kat scheduled up a time for today so we could work on our bikes. I had a tough day at work. After work I took a quite nap. Little Kat came knocking at our appointed time.

Little Kat grabbed Momoko's tool box. I helped him turn his bike upside down. He had trouble finding a wrench that matched the bolts on the back tire of his bike. When he could not find any, he tried using some pliers. That did not work. I taught him how to use an adjustable wrench. There was a second nut and bolt holding the axle on the bike. Eventually Little Kat used a wratchet wrench to get it off.

Once Little Kat had his wheel off, he had trouble taking the tire off the rim. I showed him how to use a blunt object to pry the thing off. The tube seemed much bigger than the rim. However it was the same size as the old one. Turns out we needed to compare the tube to the tire, not the smaller rim.

Little Kat had trouble getting the new inner tube and tire back on the rim. I explained how to do it. He could not understand. He recommended I change my own flat tire as he watched and learned. I changed my inner tube real quick. Then Little Kat put his inner tube and tire back on. When he pumped up the inner tube, we found the tire off the rim. I let a bunch of air out of the tube. Then Little Kat made sure the tire was fully on before filling it with air.

Little Kat and I tested out of newly fixed up bikes. We rode down the ramp from the shed. And then we rode around the cul de sac. Finally I followed Little Kat down the street. We waved to some neighbors. And then I followed him back up the cul de sac. We tried some hard core lines, riding off curbs and such. Then we went fast. We navigted between Kit Kat's car and my truck in the driveway. We has enough speed to ride up our steep shed ramp. It was time for Little Kat to start cooking dinner.

No comments: