Friday, September 21, 2012

Two Hour Tour

This week we had a quiz in my community college class. The class only meets once a week. But the class lasts for three hours. The weird thing about our quiz was that it was a whopping two hours long. What kind of quiz lasts for two hours? Our's I guess.

The instructor provided a four question quiz. Three of the four questions were simple. The fourth one was massive. The instructor told us to read over the quiz and ask all questions in the first 15 minutes. I read over the big problem and found many issues. Some sentences in the description made no sense. Other requirements were missing. Some parts of the directions contradicted others.

I asked a bunch of question. Eventually I determined that the guy did not care what assumptions I made. Looks like he just wanted to give the class some experience dealing with real world problems. Because problems in the real world are always messy. They don't look like exercises from our textbook where everything works out fine.

There is a deaf guy that sits in the front row. His interpreter normally sits next to me. The deaf guy said he was going to be an hour and a half late for class. So his interpreter just left. Deaf guy showed up just in time for the quiz. He seemed to be scribbling a lot of stuff down on a piece of paper during the quiz. That was odd given that it was an online quiz.

In the end, the deaf guy was the first one to finish the quiz. I followed him out shortly thereafter. I figure the rest of the class probably never finished the quiz. That was one hard problem the teacher gave us. I liked it though.

No comments: