Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Gig is Up

Some time around a year ago, I realized our cable bill was getting out of control. It was something like $150 a month. Now that is ridiculous. Slowly I worked on getting the costs down. First I got rid of the pay channels like HBO and Starz. Then I sent back the Digital Recorder box. Even that was not good enough.

It was time to get radical. I cut our Internet speed option down to the slowest one available. Then I asked to cut out all but the local channels. The price of cable TV plus Internet plummeted down to $50 a month. That is reasonable. The good thing is that they forgot to turn off some of the cable channels we were receiving.

We rode this accident out for about a year. The whole family has been enjoying cable channels like Lifetime and Cartoon Network and such. Not any more. I just got a letter from the cable company stating that they realized we were getting too many channels and not paying for it. They are cutting out the extra channels next month.

What are we to do? I might be able to sign up for some special 6 month deal, then cancel again in 6 months. We can only hope they make another mistake and forget to turn off the good channels. Now it is time to start slashing the cell phone bill. The thing was running $130 a month...

2 comments:

Momoko said...

Noooo!!!! We will be so lost with Cartoon Network and Disney Channel. I hope we can make something work for us...

Black Cat said...

Might be time for Verizon FIOS or the Dish Network.