Monday, October 10, 2011

Attack of the Drain

Momoko found out that the drain in the kids' shower was backed up. Oh great. They are supposed to inform me of such problems. In the old days I would just hire a plumber to deal with it. But now I like to be scrappy.

I had the kids clean out the bathroom. Then I put on a pair of shorts and showed the kids how to get drains unclogged. The first step was to close off the overflow opening in the tub. I tried putting some duct tape over the thing. Turns out I needed to remove the cover and tape it up.

Then I got the plunger and went to town. Little Kat helped out by holding the duct tape tight against the overflow opening. I knew we were in business when the plunger pulled up some black stuff from the drain. We did a test and found the drain to be working.

I like showing the kids how to take care of business like unclogging a drain. They got to learn this stuff on the job. Next time, maybe I will let them do the dirty work as I watch. The best news is that I don't have to take a day off from work and wait around for a plumber who will charge us the $$$ to snake out a drain.

No comments: