Monday, September 15, 2014

Final Tasks for Mom

Dad took care of the funeral home expenses when mom died. My brother took care of the cemetery plots. I only thought it fitting that I take care of the gravestone. Our cemetery actually does grave markers, which are granite square stones laid in the ground, topped with brass plates.

The cost of grave markers from the cemetery was high. Fine. I thought I would buy from another source. The cemetery makes that next to impossible. They have a ten page document outlining the requirements for outside grave markers. I could not find a manufacturer that could meet their specs. Criminal.

Instead of fighting this, I bowed down and placed an order with the cemetery. Dad was getting anxious that it was taking a long time to get the grave marker settled. I ordered a double wide one to cover both plots my brother bought. It should arrive in 8 to 10 weeks. This chapter will be closed out by the end of the year.

I went by mom's grave after completing the grave marker business. Grass was finally groving over her grave. I saw the potted plants my brother had left. They were staked down with some metal rods.

I still recall very vividly the many conversations I had with my mom as I visited her each week when she was sick. I often wonder if I missed some indirect guidance mom tried to provide in those last couple months. One thing was clear. She wanted me to get closer to dad. I diligently work on that task now.

No comments: