Sunday, September 21, 2014

WiFi Woes

The kids complained that their videos were loading and playing slowly. I noticed that a game I play on the IPad kept getting disconnected from the server. Something was wrong with the Internet in our house. Little Kat said we needed more bandwidth.

Hey. I am willing to give anything a try. I had the economy style Internet bandwidth which gave us a 3Mbps pipe to the Internet. Recently I upgraded to 25Mbps to appease Little Kat and give us more speed. I also replaced our wireless router with a "dual-band" one that had three antennas on the back. Three antennas!

What was the result? Well I still get disconnected from my server, just not as often. Kit Kat still gets bounced off WiFi in her room. Little Kat still cannot play YouTube videos at full resolution, or even get consistent playback at lower resolution.

This is going to be a long running work in progress. To solve the upstairs wireless issues, I figured I would need to get a second router upstairs that connects to our main router. Maybe that will solve some issues. Little Kat says his friend's house has no trouble YouTube. I told him to do a real-time test to see if he and his friend can watch the same video at the same time.

I also recommended Little Kat directly plug his computer into the router to see if WiFi is killing him too. If necessary, I told him we could try upgrading to a whopping 105Mbps bandwidth. However I suspect something else is wrong with out setup. Maybe it will be as simple as tweaking a setting or two. Just got to find out which settings need adjusting.

No comments: