Thursday, September 4, 2014

Sliding Glass

We have an old sliding glass door that connects the kitchen to the patio outside. These days we do not use the door. The inside portion of it is obstructed by a large shelf and our full size freezer in the kitchen. The door has double pane glass. The outside glass pane got cracked a few years ago.

I meant to get it fixed. However my handyman said he could not repair it. He could only replace it for some big bucks. He recommended I have a glass company replace the glass in the door. That's what I did. Had the local glass and mirror shop order the window. It was a non-standard size. The glass came in this week.

Had some trouble with the scheduling of the install. The guy called me yesterday. I told him I would be available today. He promised to call me back. However when he called me back, he forgot about our conversation yesterday. We set up a time for the installer to come by. Then he calls me back 10 minutes later and tries to switch up the times. No can do.

The installer arrived at the set time. I needed to prepare by taking everything out of the big shelf. Also needed to move the shelf and freezer out of the way. That exposed a nasty back wall that had to be cleaned. Then I cleared the stuff off the patio that obstructed access from the outside.

The guy who came was optomistic that he could finish the job in an hour. I continued to work on my computer while he did his business. The sliding door was taken off and moved outside to work. The kitchen started to heat up as there was a huge open door to the patio. Flies also decided to come in the house.

I heard some groans outside. Guess this was harder than the installer thought. Later he told me it was difficult to remove the glass from the old window. It was wedged between the frame of the door. Ha. I had the same problem when I tried to remove most of the broken glass before someone got hurt. I compensated by putting up duct tape to cover the exposed jagged glass.

Now that the sliding glass door is fixed, I need to move onto the stoop just outside the door. It has been sinking since we bought the house. I just saw an ad where they can deal with such problems by jacking up the concrete and filling the space below. Maybe I will give them a call.

No comments: