Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Community College Tour

Momoko arranged a tour of the local community college by grandpa and grandma. Little Kat wanted to live there. So we visited the college. Little Kat signed us in. I was taken aback by the lack of students on campus. However they allegedly have 8000 students enrolled. The rep was touting their cyber security program where students could earn up to 90k a year after graduation. Never heard of such a deal.

We went to an office to determine how Little Kat could qualify for in-state tuition at the college. A student tried to answer our questions. However she got corrected by someone else in her office. I suggested we meet with an expert. We signed in again, and met with the college registrar. She explained the hoops it would take for Little Kat to be in-state. That either required him to get a full time job locally and file income taxes, or be adopted by the grandparents. Ouch.

Afterwards, Momoko and I tried to get Little Kat to think about a college major. He told me I had shut down his previous ideas. Whatever. I still pressed him and he found three classes of interest: game design, game programming, and game production. We searched for a major that would allow him to use those classes. Closest thing we found was a multimedia degree.

To be honest, I liked the look of a lot of the community college classes they offered there. These easily beat the offerings we have in our home state community colleges. I know. I have attended them, and did not have the option of any of those cool classes. Really. How can I sign up for these? Kit Kat recommended online study from a distance.

For dinner we at Taco Bueno, Little Kat had the biggest meal - the whole lotta platter. Grandma had a big Mexi dip and chips. Momoko got a platter. However it was more of a snack than a meal. The rest of us ate party tacos that cost 49 cents.

No comments: