Thursday, May 21, 2015

Had a Bad Day

Today Little Kat went to school. Momoko and Kit Kat went to work. And I worked out of my basement. I had some errands to run at lunch time. However I found that it was raining outside. And the rain gutter was clogged, causing the water to run over the sides of the gutter.

Okay. Errands were cancelled. I climbed up a ladder in the rain, pulled out the gunk stopping up the gutters. Then I got a quick bite to eat at McDonald's. I knew I had some other tasks to do after work. Tomorrow is bulky trash pickup for us. So I hauled all our large items out to the curb with the help of a dolly.

When I was done, my sixth sense kicked it. I took a peek at the stairs leading down to the back door of our house. I saw water standing at the bottom of the stairs. Not good. The drain must have been clogged. Water entered the house and got the basement carpet wet.

I plunged out the drain. Kit Kat and Little Kat went to buy a few gallons of Drano. I dumped a whole gallon down the drain. It must have done something, because the area on top of the drain looked like it had been bleached white. However the drain still would not drain. Damn. I tried a second gallon. This time the water would move down the drain a bit.

Two more gallons worth were poured down the drain for good measure. I followed each with some water to flush it out. I hope the thing stays good for at least a while. I need to get a permanent solution to this problem. It is no fun to try to keep the drain clear. It is even worse when it backs up.

No comments: