Thursday, May 28, 2015

Tax Trouble

Recently my dad got an overdue credit card bill notice in the mail. He did not understand why. And he was too flustered to deal with it. I tried to step in. The credit card company made it difficult because they only wanted to talk with my dad. Eventually I got it all sorted out.

Then my dad told me about his tax problems. He went to a preparer to get his taxes done last year. Then a refund check came in the mail. But it was payable to my mom who had passed away. I called up the IRS. They told me there was no way that would happen. They also were reluctant to speak with anyone but my dad.

So I worked over at my dad's house today. I had some emergencies at work to deal with. That just meant I skipped lunch. However I needed to deal with dad's refund issue. I called the IRS who took a long time to answer. But when I finally spoke to someone, I found out what went down.

Dad's tax preparer filled out his tax return wrong. It directed to send dad's refund to the care of my mom. Fail. I found out everything we need to do to get this straightened out. Dad might be getting to old to deal with details like this. Perhaps my brother or I may need to get a power of attorney from my dad so we can take care of his business ourselves. Not easy.

No comments: