Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Kit Kat Graduates

Today was Kit Kat's graduation ceremony. Little Kat got a note to get out of school early. Momoko took a half day at work. Kit Kat skipped work. I took the afternoon off. It was my job to pick up lunch. I had a hard time getting away from work. Picked up our favorite Chinese food takeout.

Kit Kat took a separate car. She brought one of her close friends along with her. Little Kat drove Momoko and I to the venue. It was at a concert pavilion close to Kit Kat's school. We dropped Momoko off close to the pavilion. Little Kat and I parked close by. We all convened inside the pavilion where we sat next to Kit Kat's friend.

Eventually Kit Kat's other friends came too and sat with us. We saw Kit Kat as she descended into the pavilion in a procession. There were a lot of students. I alone enjoyed the keynote speaker, who happened to live in the city and taught at the college before. Nobody else seemed to like him. When Kit Kat was called and received her diploma, I stood up and screamed. It did not seem like the rest of the family made much noise. Later I heard that Kit Kat heard me all the way down on stage.

The chairs in the pavilion were not comfortable. After Kit Kat got her diploma, I excused myself, took a walk up the stairs, and stretched out near the top of the pavilion. I waited until about half the kids got their diplomas. Then I returned back to my seat so the family would not think I deserted them too bad.

At the end of the ceremony, Kit Kat walking again in procession out of the pavilion. She walked right next to us. We planned where to meet up after the ceremony. Pictures were taken. Plans were made for further celebration. And then we had Little Kat drive us home. It was a hot day. But we were there to support Kit Kat and celebrate with her.

No comments: