Sunday, June 16, 2013

The Passing of Little Libby


This week our gerbil Libby died. She was one of the younger gerbils in the pack. And she was my favorite. I am finding that each gerbil has their own personality. I was drawn to Libby. Although I did not hold the gerbils like the kids do, I provided them with cardboard to chew on a daily basis.

Libby was one of the youngest. However she was also one of the fattest. I was pleased that recently she had lost her fat. However in retrospect, she lost the weight because she was very sick. I did not suspect anything until this week. She was drinking water, eating treats, and chewing cardboard as recently as a few days ago.

The family thought something was wrong because Libby was not sleeping with the other gerbils in her cage. Then her eyes were mostly closed. The kids said she was not eating or drinking. I peeked into Libby's cage one morning. She was in her little wooden house, buried among the chewed up cardboard. She was dead. Apparently the other gerbils spread the cardboard around her.

Now we are down to two gerbils cages with two gerbils in each. Kit Kat needs to get these gerbils into one cage so that if one dies, it will not be all alone. Getting the gerbils together is a delicate matter as they fight with anyone they are not familiar with. It will be a long process. But Kit Kat needs to get to work. Goodbye Libby. You will always be my favorite.

No comments: