Thursday, August 6, 2009

Bait and Switch

I wanted to take a web programming college class this Fall semester. So I did my planning and homework. Figured out the exact cost of the class. Then I found the required textbook for the class. It cost a whopping $172.

That's ok. I tallied up all the costs, and convinced my company to pay for them. I even had my company front me an advance for the course. When I registered for the class, I felt secure in paying for the course. After all, I was just forwarding the money my company provided.

You would think all I need to do is ensure I do a good job in the class. That way the company does not make me pay them back. I also can't leave the company any time soon. I checked that the school bookstore had my textbook. Bamm. Two new textbooks were added for the class. They total up to an extra $200.

What kind of rip off is this? Now I got to figure out what to do. Should I pay for these books out of my pocket, and hope the employer pays me back in the end? I don't know.

2 comments:

Momoko said...

I know how expensive textbooks are but you would not think they where more than the tuition now I know why people drop out! Good luck with your decision.

Grand Kat said...

It sounds like the College knows how to empty your pocket book.