Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Boss is Away

The guy that leads my team has never taken a vacation. This is not healthy. I encouraged him to take some time off. He was losing vacation that he did not take. He took me up on my offer. There was only one caveat. While the boss was away, I had to do his job.

I know how to lead a team. I just don't like doing it. Had to attend a lot of meetings. Needed to collect and report status. Interfaced with other teams. You know the drill. This lasted for the last two weeks. There was not much time to do my own job. I tried hard and maybe did about half of my job during this time. And I did about half of my boss' job.

Now the boss is back. He is refreshed. That is a great thing. I was looking forward to going back to my normal job which I love. There were a few problems though. The team leader is scheduled to attend jury duty. Let's hope he does not get chosen to sit for a long case. And the big boss was really happy with me taking the lead. He has visions of my continuing a leadership role in some capacity.

What's a guy to do? I don't want to be a slacker and screw up so I get demoted out of a lead position. But I also hate doing team lead duties. We shall see what I can negotiate.

No comments: