Saturday, May 26, 2012

Printer Power

I took over the guest bedroom downstairs as my new study. I needed it because I work from home most of the time now. This allowed Momoko to take over the study upstairs that initially mine, then shared by us, and now is becoming hers. There is one problem working up in that study. You got to walk all the way downstairs to pick up your printouts on the printer.

Momoko asked if she could have a peronal printer up there in her study. That sounded reasonable. I looked around. But I could not find our current printer on sale anywhere. The retail price is too high for just giving Momoko her own computer. So I was about to shut down the idea of a second printer.

I did find a newer model printer deeply discounted online. The only trouble was that it takes different toner. I wanted to have the same printer so we could just stock one time of printer toner. We go through toner quite frequently. In the end, we bought the newer printer. It has the benefit of being a copier and scanner as well.

I had quite a chore unpacking and setting up the new printer. Everything was taped down initially when they shipped it to me. I had to install some software on my computer to set up the printer to work wirelessly. The install of that software took forever. I was happy when I verified I could make copies and scan documents with the printer.

Now I had to order some replacement toner for the new printer. The original toner cartridges from the manufacturer cost almost as much as the printer. So I am going to start by trying a knock off branch of toner. Let's hope it works.

No comments: