Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Earth is Shaking

I am moving forward with operation New Shed. I have asked my handyman to go to the county to get a permit for my new shed. The old shed is an 8x10 foot metal one. The roof is very low. The new shed will be a mammoth 10x20 feet, with a minimum 7 foot wall (and ceiling). The apex of the ceiling will be much higher than 7 feet because of the gambrel style room. In other words, the roof will look like a barn roof.

There were some bushes and a large white oak tree next to the existing shed. The new shed will be greatly expanded. The tree and bushes had to go. I checked the Better Business Bureau to see what tree cutters have a good history. The answer was not many. The top guy recommded by the BBB asked $1100 to cut down the tree, remove the bushes, grind the stump, and haul off the tree. That's too much money. The next BBB approved guy said he would do the whole job for $750. I bet I could find someone cheaper. But I wanted someone who I thought would do a good job. I hired this second tree cutter on the spot.

Initially I set an appointment for noon for the tree work. But the company called and said they could come by earlier. I said come on. I set my alarm to wake up early. They called at 7am and were here before 7:30am. The guys climbed the tree and used a chain saw to cut off the branches. I spied on the boys hauling the branches to their wood chipper. Those were some huge branches. Then finally they started cutting the tree itself after an hour or two. I got a call from work and had to take it. During the call I heard a big boom and felt the house shaking.

I jumped off the call to see what the heck happened. I assumed the tree fell down and smashed the house. Nope. This was just the last portion of the tree that they cut and let fall. The thing was so heavy it shook the whole area violently. It also made a big indentation on my lawn. No worries. This shed is high priority for me. I needed the trees gone. The grass can be repaired.

No comments: