Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Jammed up in the Morning

My company required me to attend an in-person meeting early in the morning at headquarters. I don't like going there because I have to drive across town. That means there is a lot of bad traffic to deal with. Normally I just wake up in the early AM hours and get to work before the sun rises. However I have been studying every night for my college class. I need my sleep. I decided to go in early instead of super early.

I woke up this morning and jumped into the car. I figured I had time to stop by McDonald's. Used a coupon to get a free drink. Nice. Also ate a breakfast sandwich off the dollar menu. I love saving money like that. McDonald's had quick service. I sped through the yellow lights to get on the highway. Things started out good. Then I hit some traffic.
What the heck? It was still so very early. Must have been an accident. They were calling for rain. But the rain did not start yet. Sometimes you just get unlucky. Good thing for me that I started out early. Still made it to the office around an hour before my meeting. It took a while to find the conference room where we were to meet. I plugged in my computer and read some email. Then I browsed the web. Another early riser came in and we started talking. Others wandered in as well.

After the first meeting, I had another all day meeting to attend. Me and a few other dialed into this meeting. They had a conference call going on. This lasted up until our lunch break. I decided to bolt of our headquarters and drive home for lunch. This got me across town and home while traffic was still light. If I stayed at headquarters until rush hour, I would spend a few hours driving home in the rain. No fun at all.

I even had a few minutes on the drive home to stop by McDonald's again to use a coupon to get lunch. As the conference call reconvened, I chowed down my food and enjoyed my drink. This is the way to live. I actually planned to be out of the office for this meeting all day. So I signed up another member of my team to cover for me all day. Smart thinking. My backup had to deal with all the emergencies going on at the job site.

No comments: