Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Burial

We planned to meet my cousin at my dad's house before mom's burial. He got into town early, but went to eat some pancakes with his kids. My cousin came to the house with enough time to spare. But as we were about to leave for the cemetary, he told me he and his kids needed to change clothes.

So we arrived at the cemetary 10 minutes late. That seemed okay because we had planned to show up 30 minutes early. We lined up behind the hearse. Then the hearse took off too early. We had no choice but to follow. I told the cemetary guy that it was too early, and other people might be arriving.

It was terribly windy. We waited in the cars as some guys staked down the tent with reinforcements. Some flowers went blowing in the wind. Good thing we had 6 pall bearers. It was tricky to move the casket over the grave site. Our priest stayed calm as the cold and winds rocked us.

The cemetary guy arranged for one final opening of the casket for my aunt to see her sister, and my dad to verify it was my mom in the casket. Most of us stayed to see the casket lowered into the ground. A kind woman from my brother's work consoled my aunt.

No comments: