Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Viewing

I went over my dad's house early this morning. Got a bite to eat at McDonald's. Did not want to eat too much. But I knew we had a busy afternoon. I drove my aunt to the funeral home. My brother and dad followed in my brother's car. Snow was coming down heavy when we arrived.

Turns out my brother had chosen the right casket. It was shiny and light colored, like gold. Dad had placed mom's engagement ring on her sister's hand for safe keeping. We wanted it on mom for her viewing today. An old guy at the funeral home kept bringing in flowers. I had him bring in a magnetic board to mount pictures of mom for display.

Almost all the neighbors from the street where we grew up dropped by. Many had moved out of town when they retired. Some of my coworkers from work showed up early. A lot of my brother's coworkers came by. Kit Kat drove Momoko and Little Kat over. I met one of mom's friends who had known her for 25 years.

No comments: