Saturday, March 3, 2012

25 Billion Strong

Momoko informed me that Apple was getting close to its 25 billionth app download in its app store. To celebrate, it was giving away a $10,000 app store credit to the person who downloads the 25 billionth app. I saw that 500 apps were being downloaded per second. At that rate, it would take about 10 days to hit 25 billion.

Momomoko kept asking me how the downloads were doing. Each time I would calculate how much time it would take before the 25 billionth app was hit. Last night the apps were being downloaded much fast. I figured it would take 2 to 3 hours to hit the mark. We prepared our downloads.

The app store was very slow. Momoko queued up a few apps to download. The first one seemed to take forever to download. When we got within an estimated 30 minutes to go, I tried as well. It took a while, but I queued up around 6 apps to download. As we got closer to the 25 billionth mark, I started initiating even more downloads.

I tried out a couple apps that installed successfully. Most got deleted right away. I hate when they take a long time to load, or have errors connecting to some server. So far the only one tested that I may keep is Sloto Mania. However that one sends me annoying messages even when I am not playing it. If that keeps up, it goes to the bit bucket too.

No comments: