Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Shed Setback

We have a metal shed in our back yard. It is the one that came with the house when we bought it. The thing is still standing. But there are holes in the roof letting water in. The roof is too low. I hit my head often when I enter. I am tall so I have to crouch down to walk around inside the shed. It is time for a new shed.

Went to the local hardware store. They offer sheds through their subcontractors. I called up the subcontractors. They just build the sheds. They do not take care of the building permits. They also do not do level your ground for you. It has to start off relatively level. First things first. I need that permit.

I should have known there would be pain based on my troubles getting a permit for our driveway. However I went ahead and prepared a "site plan". This shows our property from a bird's eye view. I drew an outline on that plan that showed the new dimensions of the shed. After going to the permit office, I found that I needed building plans. The guy at the front desk referred me to their building plan expert.

I spent about a half hour listening to the building plan. This plan is actually a bunch of smaller plans bundled together. I took notes. I needed a lot of drawings with specifications. I also need some waivers or documents from other county agencies. When my sheet of notes was full, I left. For now the new shed remains just a dream.

No comments: