Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Outdoor Work Bench

I do a lot of collecting of items outside in our yard. At times I pick up sticks and branches that fall in the yard. In the fall, I collect leaves. And in the spring it is grass. Most of the time I bundle this stuff in a plastic bag to dispose of it. To collect everything into a bag, I need a table to hold the stuff. Previously I used the hood of my pickup truck. It is a work truck after all.

The problem with this technique is that the paint on my truck's hood suffers. I figured it was time for an outdoor work table. You could call it a work bench. That would also help when I need to lay down some wood for cutting. I had some extra wood left over from a massive retaining wall I found I did not need to build. So I went to work building my bench.

First I cut up all the plywood and lumber. Then I painted the plywood white as it seemed susceptible to mildew. Finally today I hammered and nailed together all the pieces. This thing is heavy duty. I got 4x4 posts with 2x6 runners. I could get on top of the table and do the Riverdance without the thing even moving.

I did have one tradgedy during final assembly. I had two large sides that I needed to join with plywood. During the layout, one side fell down, busting the carport rain gutter. I repaired the rain gutter and braced both sides with lumber to hold them in place. Now that everything is done, I just need to move our excess firewood inside the table. Very handy indeed.

No comments: