Friday, March 2, 2012

Computer Woes

I have had all kinds of problems with my laptop recently. The immediate need was to install the latest TurboTax software to file my income tax returns. The install would not work, complaining about Windows installer being missing. TurboTax tried to fix my computer. It did not work.

Next I have had some weird problems browsing. I would Google some topic. Then if I click a link, instead of going to the search result, I get sent over to some rogue search engine. When I try to open the search result in a new window, I get a "404 not found nginx" page. Fail.

So I bit the bullet and restored my computer to its factory settings. That was a pain. But at least I was able to file my taxes. Then I found the Google browsing problems had returned. What? I tried finding some fixes online. The latest fix was Norton Eraser, a free tool that would supposed to help. The only thing it did was make it so my computer would not boot up. Luckily I had some system recovery CDs. However I am back to restoring my system to the factory default.

Maybe it is time to buy a Macintosh like Momoko.

No comments: