Saturday, July 6, 2013

Highway Obstacles

I was driving my Beetle on the highway to go visit my friend. Traffic was moderate. I was behind an 18-wheeler truck. Decided to change lanes to prepare for my upcoming exit. In the middle of a lane change, I ran over a truck tire that was on the road. Sensors started lighting up on my dash. The engine was making a bad sound. I felt like I was dragging something under the car.

I pulled over far to the side of the road. Looked underneath my car. There was no truck tire left. Just some plastic from the front part of my car dragging on the ground. I pulled it off and tossed in on the floor in the back seat. I drove down the highway a bit slow. Pulled off onto another road. The car engine continued to make strange sounds. Then I turned off to a less busy road.

As soon as I down shifted, the car stalled. Lights on the dashboard continued to be lit. I figured this was it. I pulled over to the side of the road and called my mechanic. There was no way I could drive there. He referred me to the tow company they work with. The tow company came really quickly and put my Beetle on their bed. My friend also came to give me a ride. Today I returned to the mechanic's to determine the damage. He told me he took a quick look under the car and found a lot of stuff busted up.

The Fates have spoken. Most likely it will be time to dump the Volkswagen Beetle. My mechanic said he would take a closer look and come up with an estimate later this week. The cost of the car is low enough that it will proabably make sense to buy another car instead of trying to fix it.

No comments: