Monday, July 29, 2013

College Class Registration


I went to my community college to try to register for a class. The first time I went, I found that I did not have the approval from my department chair to skip over some course prerequisites. This time I had printed out the approval from the department chair. I went to my department's office to get an override slip. That is required to register for the course.

When I got to the computer science department office, nobody was at the front desk. A woman in a cubicle nearby helped me. Well she at least talked to me and took my information. She got someone else to try to help me. They tried to use the computer to enter the override. Failed. Then they pulled out the cheat sheet. No help. After a while they were enterering random numbers into the system. I bet you know how that turned out.

Eventually, they just filled out a piece of paper and gave me their phone number. They thought that should be enough to get me past admissions. I went over to the advising building. Entered my name in the system and took a seat. Last time I went to advising on campus, it took around two hours for them to call my name. This time I came prepared. I had my trusty Amazon Kindle device with my latest book loaded up. Let's just say I read lots of the book while waiting.

Eventually some guy called my name and introduced himself. He called himself a doctor. I guess that means he has a PhD. By itself that might count for something, but why is he then working as a frontline admissions clerk? I did not ask him. Just got him to sign my form to say that advising had taken place. Then he handed back my form and I went to stand in line in admissions. Later this "doc" came running over and said I forgot my override papers. What? I handed them to him. He just did not return them to me.

Good thing I got those override papers back. Admissions said I needed those papers to get enrolled. Next I jumped over to the cashier's office to pay my bill. Don't want to get dropped from the class for nonpayment. Then I went downstairs to purchase my textbook. Oooops. They are not selling the books until next week. Seems a bit late as classes start in less than a month.

I headed over to the security office to get my new parking pass. The security office was no longer there. They were doing some construction. So I went to the information desk. They actually had some parking passes. Good thing I keep my license plate number in my wallet. Next I wanted to get my school ID. Oooops. I was told the security office was closed for the afternoon. I guess I will see them when I return to buy my textbook.

No comments: