Saturday, July 26, 2014

Home Repairs

I telecommute from home for work. It is very flexible. So when my brother said he was worried about my dad, I started working in my dad's basement a couple days a week. I do have to fight rush hour traffic. But it is worth it. My dad says he is lonely when my brother goes to work. Dad used to talk with mom in the mornings. Now that mom is gone, he does not know what to do.

At my dad's house, I noticed some problems and weird things going on. I frequently have to walk out the back door of the house. The stairs leading up to the half-level door in the back are in disrepair. The paint is all messed up. Some of the wood looks like it may be in the early stages of rot. They don't use those stairs that much. But my uncle built those stairs long ago. We got to keep those stairs.

My brother also empties a bucket of water in the utility room daily. It is the condensation from the air conditioner. Normally that is supposed to be routed to a drain. But the tube leading to the drain is all clogged up. My mom used to use a neighbor as a general contractor for issues like this. But that neighbor moved away and they are left helpless.

I called my handyman and asked him to come by dad's house to give us an estimate on the repairs. My handyman asked if we lived by the main road in our town. I told him we were off in another subdivision to the east. Surprisingly my handyman knew exactly where I was talking about. Turns out he grew up in the area and went to the local high school. He also is staying nearby at his own mom's house because his mom has health issues. Huh. Small world.

No comments: