Friday, July 4, 2014

Wireless Woes

We used to use our wireless router in the config it came from the factory. Default SSID and no security or password. The kids thought people were stealing our bandwidth. So we setup a secure protocol and added a password. The kids swore it made out Internet faster.

This past week the router seemed to be reset to original factory state. That's a problem because all our printers were configured to work with the new security. I lived with it for a bit. Set up one of the printers to work with the factory default wireless state.

Momoko said she could not print to any of her printers. It was time to fix the problem. I set the router back up with a different name, with security, and our password. Could not connect to any printers. Rebooted my computer. Setup that one printer to work with the new settings. I could print.

Momoko's printers were harder. I had to reset the security to use an older security protocol. Also had to reset the SSID to use all capital letters. Momoko could now print to two printers. Kit Kat could not print to any. I had her set up our newest printer. When she tried a test print, the printer went crazy and kept printing out weird text until it ran out of paper.

I had Kit Kat install the printer drivers from the DVD that came with the printer. Now she can print and scan. That's an upgrade. Momoko cannot print to her personal laser printer. That's okay by me. We have a family laser printer that is better. She can print to that one. Let's hope the router does not get reset back to factory defaults again.

No comments: