Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hacked!!

I just so happen to check one of credit card accounts to see how many rewards points I have earned because I was thinking about doing a little shopping. While I was perusing my account, I noticed a charge for $226.68 to a Paypal account. This was very strange because the only thing that I had charged to this particular credit card account this month was a few pizzas from Papa Johns on 4/29. I know I wasn't shopping on eBay and that is the only place I use Paypal account so I called my bank to find out more about the purchase. No luck, I called too late and I will have to deal with it in the morning. I decided to do a little snooping so I checked out my Paypal account. I could see the details of the transaction clearly. Somehow an unknown person with an email account "jailbrek" had lifted $220 plus $6.68 fee from my credit card and this transaction had the subject "You've got money!" so I guess they decided to take it!!!! I filed an unauthorized transaction report at Paypal and I am awaiting the results of the investigation (10 days) to see if they will refund my money. I changed all my passwords and deleted my credit card for this account. It really makes you wonder how secure online banking/shopping really is.

2 comments:

Black Cat said...

Do you get to keep the reward points from the hacker purchases? Sounds goodf to me.

Grand Kat said...

This makes me wonder too, since our paypal comes out of our checking acct. Good thing you checked your card,