Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Failure Scare


I have been keeping an eye on my fuel gauge in my newly acquired Saturn Vue SUV. The thing seemed to be below half a tank. Today is seemed to hover at a quarter tank. I figured I better fill the thing up.

Went to my local gas station. Pay for $20 worth of gas. You get a discount for paying cash. Almost as soon as I started fueling up, the gas cut off. What? I tried squeezing the pump to force more gas in. I had only put in a gallon or so.

Eventually the gas overflowed out of the side of the gas opening. Ouch. I went home and contemplated what to do. I called up the dealership and asked if this was covered under warranty. Usually they are pretty lean on used car warranties. But I just bought this thing!

I scheduled a service visit next week. That was the first available time. At least they let you drop off your car at your convenience. They have a night drop system. I was still peeved that I had to put the car in the shop so soon. I had flashbacks of the Volkswagen Beetle.

On the way to school, I set up a trip meter to measure how far I had travelled since my last tank fill up. On the way to school, something must have been working overtime in my mind. I determined that I had been looking at the oil pressure gauge by mistake. The fuel gauge is over on the right, and it correctly shows a full tank. Whew.

Now with that scare out of the way, it is time to schedule some manual transmission practice with Kit Kat.

No comments: