Monday, October 28, 2013

Router Rollover


Some time ago, Little Kat complained about the Internet speeds he was receiving. He proposed that we replace our wireless router. The new router cost about $50. I figured that would be a good investment. Unfortunately, I did not determine the true costs of the upgrade. Turns out Little Kat did not know how to set up all our printers to work with the new router.

This caused Momoko to not be able to print from her study. After over a month of Little Kat failing, I had to step in. Spent a few hours getting the first printer working with the new router. Then last night I spent a few more hours getting the other two printers working with the new router.

Now this work was not just switching the printers over to a new secure router. I also had to make sure Little Kat could print and scan from his new Windows 8 laptop. If I would have known it would take this long and this much of my time for the router upgrade, I would have halted it.

In the future, I need to ask a whole lot more questions when the kids get some great ideas. The main question should be to figure out how much of my time will be required to clean up whatever messes they get us in. Lesson learned.

No comments: