Saturday, October 12, 2013

Truck Repairs


Last week I had my mechanic check out my newly acquired Saturn Vue SUV. When I went to pick it up, I dropped off my pickup truck. Had my mechanic change the oil. Also asked him to look into fixing my air conditioning. It turned out it needed more freon. Unfortunately, it uses an old uncommon type of freon. My mechanic said next year I should get the A/C switched over to use the modern freon type.

As soon as I got my pickup truck from the mechanic, I drove it over to the tire store. The front passenger tire was always low on air. I figured it must be a leak. I asked the tire guys to patch it. An hour or so later, I got a call from the tire guys. They said the tire was rotted and could not be fixed. They also said all the other tires were rotted as well and should be replaced. I told them no thank you.

The tire guys gave me a long list of items they thought needed maintenance on the truck: front rotors worked, bearings repacked, idle arm repaired, air filter replacement, preventative maintenance flush of fluids, and a serpentine belt replacement. I thanked them for the info. But I said I was not ready for any of that work. I asked if I owed them anything since they could not patch my tire. I got put on hold.

The tire guy came back on the phone and said my tire was low because it had a nail in it. Turns out they could patch the tire after all. Crooks. Hey. I had my truck there. So I decided I would let the crooks patch the tire. The moral of the story is to say no to the upsell. Then even some unscrupulous mechanics might agree to only perform the minimal maintenance you request.

No comments: