Wednesday, March 9, 2011

PC Internals

Kit Kat was having major problems with her desktop PC about a year ago. I loaned her my old PC, which was in fine working order. Since then Momoko bought Kit Kat a laptop that is awesome. I was going to throw out Kit Kat's old desktop PC. However Little Kat asked me to save it so he could open it up and learn.

Today Little Kat and I finally got around to peeking inside. Little Kat immediately disconnected the power supply cables, unscrewed it, and removed the power supply. He called it "the battery". Close enough. Then he unscrewed the big CPU fan. It had a huge heat sink under it. Then Little Kat lifted a lever on the motherboard to remove the actual CPU. I was hoping to see "Intel" or "AMD" on the side to identify the manufacturer. But I saw no such markings.

Little Kat then unscrewed the CD ROM and hard disk drives. I ripped off the front of the desktop case. That enabled Little Kat to slide out both CD ROM and hard disk. He showed me a trick with a paper clip to open the CD ROM even when there was no power applied. Little Kat also thought there was some cool magnet inside the hard disk drive. But we ran out of time. He had to go to bed. Tomorrow or Friday we shall pry open the hard drive case. We are also going to disconnect the battery on the motherboard that keeps the clock going.

No comments: