Monday, May 13, 2013

Bad Omens


I went to visit my mom today for Mother's Day. There is a Chinese food buffet by her house. So I tried to drop by there first. I got off the highway and figured something was not right. The traffic was too heavy for a Sunday. Then I saw the problem. The lights were out. It took a while before cars in front of me could flow through the dark intersection.

I got to the Chinese food place. It was strange that there were not many cars in the parking lot. The place was open. I told the guy I was here for lunch. He told me there was no lunch today. WTF? I guess he meant that there are no lunch prices on the weekend. I had to pay a high rate to get in.

When I got a table, my waitress asked me for my drink order. I told her I wanted coke. Then I went to the buffet. They had a lot of fancy but nasty dishes there. Many had ingredients such as squid. No thank you. They did not have my favorite chicken dish there. They did not have my second favorite mushroom dish there. To top it off, my waitress forgot to get me my drink.

I busted out of the Chinese food place. Figured I would be smart and avoid the light outtage. I took the long way around to my mom's house. While driving I started thinking about my newly acquired Volkswagen Beetle still being in the shop. Then I found myself taking the road home instead of the road to my mom's house. Sheesh.

It was actually a nice time visiting my mom. Afterwards I headed home. What did I see on the road? A sign said there was 6 miles of slow traffic ahead of me due to an accident. Drats. I was hoping the sign was a mistake. Nope. Traffic slowed down to a crawl soon after. Luckily I got off the freeway as soon as I could and took the back roads home. Then I got busy for a few hours doing yard work. No exercise for me today.

No comments: