Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Rain Gutter Pain


Today our handyman returned to complete most of the work on our house. He had a tough time matching paint to our library and kitchen ceilings. He successfully secured the towel ring in the kids' bathroom. By early afternoon he was done and took off. I saw him out of the house and realized that it was raining.

I heard some strange noise coming from the back of the house. After investigating, I found rain pouring down on the patio. The rain gutter had become dettached from the house. Luckily Kit Kat was home. She held the ladder as I climbed two stories to secure the gutter to the house.

On the ladder I saw the source of the problem. The gutter was filled with water because the downspout was clogged. I dragged the heavy ladder to the other side of the house. Then I climbed up two stories again. Had to reach up and pull the crud out of the gutter to get it to drain. Held my hand up there was more crud flowed down with the water. Did not want another clogging.

The front of the house had a similar problem. I thought we were in luck because the gutter over the carport is only one story high. That problem was solved quickly enough. But from there I saw the other gutter in front of the house was dislodged as well. I brought the big ladder out and climbed up again.

Had to move the ladder a few times as the gutter was pulling away from the house at multiple points. I was wet and tired. And some people from work were expecting a response from me soon. Did I mention that I had to skip lunch because I was waiting for my handy man to return? Yeah. Sucks to be me. Finally I moved the ladder to the end of the house and unclogged the drain. Then I had to keep moving the ladder back (climbing up and down the two stories) to secure the gutter and remove crud.

Needless to say, there will be no extra exercising tonight. Might be time to invest in one of these gutter covers. Although I do hear that they do not work. It might be worth a try. Anything is better than this life.

No comments: