Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Lawn Care +1


This weekend, I had my bro come with me to Lowes for some serious shopping. I had a coupon that discounted $25 from a $250 purchase. My Lowes list was long. Figured I could easily spend more than $250. One thing I concentrated on was the lawn. Bought some weed and feed to combat the dandelions plus clovers. Also bought a spreader. You know, this is a cart you push around that spreads seed and such. It worked great.

Looked at a tiller to grind some grass seed into the ground. The one I needed cost too much. So I opted for the premixed package of seed, soil, fertilizer, and mulch. I spread that out on the lawn. Also picked up some lumber for a retaining wall project. I got a hill that is a real pain to mow. I plan to level out the hill and create a retaining wall at the end. That will be a massive project.

Yesterday was a day off. I clicked up to the second story roof to try to secure the rain gutter. Drilled two holes in the gutter and attached a bracket to it. Then I tried to screw the bracket into the roof. The screw would not go in. Neither would a nail. Turns out there must be some steel behind the wood trim or something. Eventually I got one nail in, plus a small screw half way in. It will have to hold.

There is only one gutter left. It will be very difficult to get to. The gutter is on the second story. However it is over top of a first story pitched roof. Not sure how to get a ladder up there to do the work. Might have to build up some scaffolding. I need to do it though. The gutter is starting to pull away from the house.

No comments: