Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Jump Car Jump


I have been spending a lot of time a work lately and today was no exception. We had an event today and I had to park in a different lot. When I came out, I saw that there were only a few cars left in the lot. A colleague of mine had left her lights on and she needed a jump start.

There was another car that had stopped to help but she was having trouble. Neither women knew how to jump a car and they asked for my help because they couldn't find the battery and/or couldn't reach it. I have never jumped a car before and I did not feel comfortable advising her.

Meanwhile, my son had taken control of the situation. He told her where to hook up everything and when she could not reach the battery on the jumper car, he opened my hood and saw that my battery was easy to access. I did not feel comfortable with Little Kat advising when I wasn't 100% sure he was right so I told him to locate a man to help.

Of course, Little Kat was on the right track it must be in his "man" genes. We ended up using my car. I had directions on my jumper cables that said to hook the black to a battery and the other end to the engine block but the "man" put it on the other battery and it seem to work just fine.

So, I guess my question is where should it go...battery or engine block? I guess it does not matter as long as it work.

2 comments:

Grand Kat said...

Red is positive and black is negative. The Black is a ground so either one would work but most people use the Battery I think.
Little is so good when it comes to things like that.

Black Cat said...

Don't fool around when you are dealing with electricity and power and batteries.