Friday, March 15, 2013

Computer Construction +1


+1

Last year Little Kat wanted permission to rent a gaming server on a monthly basis. Momoko and I were apprehensive. We asked why Little Kat couldn't just install it on his computer. He said he tried. But he thought his computer did not have enough resources to support the game server. We planned on spending time last Christmas building a computer which did. For some reason those plans fell through.

Recently I saw a course from my old college. It was on building your own computer. That sounded exactly like what we needed. I find college classes keep me on track. I am forced to deal with the studying and the work. Maybe Little Kat and I can sign up for this course together.

This week I thought I sensed an omen that we should take the class. A friend of mine from my old college told me she was taking the course this semester. She said the instructors really knew their stuff about PC part selection and assembly. She called them experts. There was only one catch. The cost of the parts was over $1000.

WTF? I bought my laptop for only $250. What kind of hand assembled desktop computer costs $1000? This is not a Mac Pro. It is a PC compatible. I guess this $1000 computer will be a gaming computer, which requires all kinds of memory, video, and processing power. What is a scrappy student to do?

Well I do have some experience in handling high college costs. I let my employer pick up the bill. It is one of my benefits at work - college costs all covered up to a certain maximum per year. I make use of those funds. Now I just need to figure out how to convince my boss that I need to take a PC assembly class...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha! You're right about that price for gaming computer :P LoL

I built it with high performance capabilities. It should be able to run Adobe Suite, a Audio Editing software and VMWare :P

Aside from that it should also be able to run at least the latest games at decent speed and frames per second (fps) :P

The built should at least last 3+ years since its specs are high enough.

Is Little Kit Kat's computer can be upgraded? I mean if you can just upgrade it - buy the only needed parts.

I upgraded my old pc 2 months ago, since my sister can't play League of Legends (LoL - no pun intended they really call it LoL).

I just bought a video card that does Shading something (I forgot). I researched if the item I'm looking at is compatible with my pc. I can't upgrade my pc's memory because its already in the max capacity.

She now plays the game every single day ever since I put it in.
She practically owns the pc now. :(

Oh well, I have my new one soon anyways :D

PS: I still can't post any blogs. Maybe later.