Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Kia Fail Event

Kit Kat and I traveled to the other side of town to check out a Kia Soul car today. It was a bit over a 30 minutes drive to get there. I used the GPS Momoko gave me for Christmas to get there. Good thing I drove. There were some tough merges to get there. Upon arrival, we had trouble finding a parking place at the dealership. There were not many customer parking spaces. And some of them seemed taken up by Kia vehicles.

We spoke to a woman at the front desk, who pawned us off to a sales guy. He could not find the car whose ad I printed off from the Internet. But he found one that was close. Kit Kat said she fit well in the driver's seat. The clutch pedal was a bit close to the brake. But the overall space was large inside the car.

We had the sales guy drive us down the street in the vehicle to ensure the car was not a lemon. I asked him to take the car up to 55 mph, thinking he would take us onto the highway. Instead he punched it on the back roads, giving us a bit of a scare. The car drove fine.

Next we went inside to ensure we knew the details of the cost. It took a few minutes to identify that their misleading sales ad hid the fact that we needed to add on a $775 destination fee. Then there was another $174 in extra options that this car had. It took around 30 minutes to find out the price depended on qualifying for a $500 recent college grad and $750 military discount (which I did not qualify for).

In the end, without the discounts, and with the added costs, I was pretty much having to pay near MSRP. That's fail. Next up - I will try to check out a Nissan Versa ad I saw in the paper. This Kia dealership needs to stop the fail.

No comments: